Despite relative radio silence, we have been busy making things, some of them more useful than others.
1) One of my goals for this year has been to sew oven mitts to replace the foam-shedding ones we’ve literally worn to pieces. Peter makes a lot of bread that requires handling some 450+ degree enameled cast iron on a bi-weekly basis, and, like any sane person, he likes to wear protection. Unfortunately, my oven mitt prototype, while very comfy for a small-handed individual, is like a straight-jacket for Peter. The overall design seems sound though, with extra reinforcement for the areas that I’ve noticed get the most wear in our commercial oven mitts (like the sneaky area between the hand and thumb that has led to both Peter and I accidentally burning ourselves while wearing what we thought were trustworthy oven mitts). The outside is denim from an old pair of Peter’s jeans and the inside is many layers of cotton knit from one of Peter’s old t-shirts. The entire oven mitt was stitched by hand, mostly because I didn’t want to subject my sewing machine to sewing so many layers of fabric together. Now if only I can motivate myself to do it all again in a larger size, twice!
2) After making a hand bag inspired by the Colette Cooper pattern, I’ve been hankering to make a larger version that could actually be used to carry more than my laptop (amazingly enough, my first Cooper-inspired hand bag does indeed just fit my lap top; I clearly should have done some measurements first!). This new bag is grey corduroy on the outside and an awesome child astronaut cotton print on the inside. I tried to make the pockets deeper this time so that they would actually hold things, but otherwise just followed the instructions for squaring the bottom of the bag as shown on the Cooper Sewalong. It’s intended purpose is for carrying around small articles of clothing and other odds and ends related to the third item on this list…
3) Which brings me to a project that has taken a full nine months to complete: